Rich, fudgy, chocolaty brownies topped with swirled cream cheese are simply hard to resist.
Makes about 15 servings
2/3 cup (150g) butter
7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
2/3 cup (135g) sugar
1/4 cup (50ml) espresso
1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
1/2 tsp (2g) almond extract
3 tbsp (24g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup (125g) flour
1 tsp (4g) baking powder
1/4 tsp (2g) salt
Cream Cheese Mixture
12 oz (350g) cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup (65g) sugar
zest from one orange
3 tbsp (45ml) orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180C). Grease and line a 9×13 inch (24×35 cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the cream cheese: Mix the cream cheese until smooth. Mix in the sugar, orange zest and orange juice. Incorporate the egg and set aside until ready to use.
3. In a bowl whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
4. Melt the chocolate and butter in a medium bowl, over bain-marie, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in sugar.
6. Gradually incorporate flour mixture until well combined.
7. Pour chocolate batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Reserve about ¾ cup to use later to create swirls.
8. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the top.
9. Spoon the remained ¾ cup chocolate batter over the cream cheese and using a knife create swirls.
11. Cut in squares using a hot knife.
Background music: Femme Fatale – http://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/track/femme-fatale_24957