- 1 cup dried dates, finely chopped
- 2oz (50g) dark chocolate (80% cocoa) or unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 milk (low fat is fine)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Put the chocolate into a medium sized bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in a hot water bath.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- In a small bowl, combine apple sauce, milk and honey/agave.
- Add the mixture to the chocolate egg mixture.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients.
- Stir in the finely chopped dates, making sure they are spread evenly in the batter.
- Pour batter into greased 8 inch baking tin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Brownie recipe adapted from anjasfood4thought.com
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/