Guinness Stout Brownies
The original version of these brownies was developed in Ireland. The malt in the Guinness stout beer intensifies the flavor of the chocolate in these delicious brownies.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped (may substitute extra-dark chocolate chips)
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Guinness Extra Stout beer (see Note below)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick foil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Melt butter, bittersweet chocolate, and white chocolate chips in a double-boiler over very low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add melted chocolate mixture, beating until combined.
- Beat reserved flour mixture into melted chocolate mixture. Whisk in Guinness stout beer by hand. The batter may seem a bit thin.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Drop semisweet chocolate chips evenly on top of batter (some will sink in). Bake 25 to 30 minutes (oven temperatures vary) on center rack in the oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let brownies cool, uncovered, to room temperature.
Brownie recipe adapted from homecooking.about.com
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/