Yes, kale brownies… I promise I’m not crazy.
- loosely-packed 3 cups kale or spinach leaves (80g)
- 1/2 cup applesauce (120g)
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups water (360g)
- 3 tbsp ground flax (18g)
- 3/4 cup vegetable or melted coconut oil (115g)
- 1 cup coconut flour (135g) (Coconut-free recipes are linked at the very bottom of this post.)
- 3/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder (65g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup xylitol or sugar of choice (150g)
- 1/16 tsp pure stevia, or 2 extra tbsp sugar of choice
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, or grease well. Blend together the first 6 ingredients (if using coconut oil, make sure applesauce and water are not cold).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients.
- Pour wet into dry and stir until just evenly combined, pour into the prepared pan, then use a full sheet of parchment or wax paper to press down firmly until the batter evenly covers the pan.
- Bake 19-20 minutes.
- Pat down hard with a pancake spatula or another sheet of parchment paper.
- Let brownies sit 15 minutes before cutting into squares. (As a general rule, cutting brownies with a plastic knife prevents crumbling.)
- They taste 10 times better the next day, so make them in advance if possible.
- Makes 20-24 squares.
Brownie recipe adapted from chocolatecoveredkatie.com
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/