These brownies are rich, chewy, and a bit gooey with the luscious caramel frosting.
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and dehydrated
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups packed medjool dates, pitted
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Raw Caramel Frosting
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw dark agave syrup
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Dates ~ if the dates are tough or more on the dry side, cover with enough hot water to rehydrate them for 10 minutes. Once ready to use, discard the soak water and hand-squeeze the excess water out before adding to the recipe.
- In a food processor, fitted with the “S” blade, place the walnuts and cashews in and process until they broken down to very small pieces. They won’t grind down to a powder due to the natural oils in them. But be careful that you don’t over process and start making walnut butter.
- Add cacao, smoked paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt. Pulse together so all the spices get mixed in well.
- Remove the lid and lay the dates around the bowl of the food processor. Add the coconut oil, lemon juice, honey and vanilla. Return the lid and pulse a few times, then process until the dough starts to clump together in a ball.
- Line the 8×8 baking pan with plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Press the brownie batter down firmly and evenly.
Raw Caramel Frosting
- Place the almond butter, sweetener, date paste, vanilla and salt in a high-powdered blender and process until smooth.
- Stop occasionally to scrap the sides down.
- Store in the fridge in a glass container. Good for approximately 2 weeks.
- To soften, leave out at room temperature for a few hours.
- Pour the caramel frosting on the brownie, cover and chill in the fridge for 4+ hours. If you wish to eat it right away, that is fine too.
- Dust with cacao powder and sprinkle crushed walnuts on top. Cut into squares and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 5-7 days. Be sure to keep them covered.
Brownie recipe adapted from nouveauraw.com
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/