1 1/2 cup crumbed pretzels
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Salted Caramel Topping:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F
2. Mix together the crumbed pretzels, melted butter and brown sugar in a small bowl.
3. Tip into the tin and spread out in an even layer, packing it down firmly.
4. Bake for 7-8 minutes, then remove to cool while you finish making the brownie.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°F.
6. Place the butter, salt, sugar and cocoa in a medium sized pot. Cook over a low heat until the butter is melted and it is completely combined.
7. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously until the batter looks shiny and well blended. Stir in the vanilla essence.
8. Stir in the flour and baking powder until fully blended.
9. Spread the batter evenly over the crust in the tin.
10. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out slightly moist with batter.
11. Remove to let cool.
12. To make the caramel, first measure out all the components so you are ready to go (it happens quickly!).
13. Heat the sugar in a medium pot over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. It will form clumps and start to melt into an amber liquid – watch carefully, ensuring it doesn’t catch/burn.
14. When it is melted and golden-brown, add the butter and whisk until combined (this may take a couple of minutes). Be careful as the caramel will bubble and steam vigorously.
15. Drizzle in the cream slowly, again whisking constantly until fully combined (1-2 minutes).
16. Remove from the heat.
17. Stir in the vanilla and salt to taste. Leave to cool.
18. Pour 1 cup of the caramel over the brownie, spreading out to make an even layer.
19. Refrigerate for 2-4 hrs, until set, then sprinkle with freshly ground sea salt.
20. Keep refrigerated, but allow to soften a little at room temperature before serving.
Music by Engelwood (ft. Joakim Karud)