Sea Salt Caramel Brownies
Talk about rich…these are the epitome of rich. Gooey. Salty. Sweet. Chocolate….what’s not to love?
Sea Salt Caramel Ingredients
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Sea Salt Caramel
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream and the salt. Simmer over very low heat until the salt is dissolved. set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and corn syrup carefully. They will not combine well until the sugar begins to melt. Cook over high heat until an instant-read thermometer reads 350 degrees, 6 to 8 minutes. Without a thermometer, just pull the sugar off the heat when it is a medium goldish brown – it will continue to cook in the heat of the pan. Better to pull it too early than too late. Remove from the heat and let cool for one minute.
- Add the cream mixture and the vanilla to the sugar mixture. Whisk in the sour cream. Let the caramel cool to room temp, then follow the brownie instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate any leftover caramel. it makes a great ice cream topping or tastes great straight out of the jar.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter in small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar, eggs, and vanilla, and mix until well combined
- Add flour, salt, chocolate syrup and chocolate mixture and blend well.
- In a greased 8×8 pan, pour a little over half of the brownie batter and bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and pour in the caramel. On top of the caramel, add the rest of your brownie batter. If it doesn’t pour smoothly, just plop it in and swirl it around a little bit. Return to oven and bake for another 18-22 minutes. Brownies will still appear a little shaky, due to the caramel, but they will firm up once cooled. Do not overbake.
Brownie recipe adapted from doughmesstic.com
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/