Strawberry Red Wine Cream Cheese Brownies
This decadent Strawberry Red Wine Cream Cheese Brownie recipe was the winner of the brownie dessert contest at the 2013 Food & Wine Conference by Nikki Miller-Ka.
- 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
Strawberry Red Wine Cream Cheese
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup reduced Pinot Noir (or other red wine of choice)
- 1/4 cup sugar-free seedless strawberry jelly
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Mix together the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and flour.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients by whisking until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips (if using). Pour one-half of the batter into the pan.
- Use a knife or an offset spatula to spread the batter into corners of pan. Pour cream cheese mixture over the batter and then pour the additional half of brownie batter over the cream cheese. Swirl the batters together decoratively with the tip of a knife or spatula.
- Bake for 26 - 30 minutes. Test brownies before removing from the oven. A toothpick placed in the center of the pan that is clean with a few moist crumbs is done. If the toothpick comes out completly clean the brownies are overbaked.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Red wine reduction
- Place 1 cup red wine in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes).
- Place wine in a bowl; let come to room temperature.
- Spray with baking spray or lightly grease and dust with flour, a 9x13 in. pan and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the cream cheese in a standing mixer and beat until fluffy.
- Add 1 egg, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/4 cup red wine, 1/4 cup strawberry jelly and 1 tablespoon of flour to the bowl. Mix until all smooth. Set this aside while preparing brownies.
Brownie recipe adapted from dixiecrystals.com
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/