These are not your mama's brownies. The subtle heat from red pepper turns these delights into conversation starters.
- 1 1/2 cups butter $
- 1 (16-oz.) package bittersweet chocolate morsels
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs $
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook first 2 ingredients in a large heavy-duty saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 20 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl until blended; stir in semisweet chocolate morsels.
- 3. Whisk together granulated sugar and next 3 ingredients until smooth. Whisk in bittersweet chocolate mixture. Whisk chocolate mixture into flour mixture just until combined.
- 4. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with parchment paper, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease parchment. Pour batter into pan.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool in pan.
- 6. Lift mixture from pan using parchment paper sides as handles; cut into 24 squares.
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/