Butterscotch Brownies with Caramel Icing
These are RICH and very good. I would recommend cutting them into small bites, rather than brownie-size.
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8x8-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to mix butter sugar, egg and vanilla. Add flour and baking powder, and stir just until incorporated. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan.
- While brownies are baking, prepare icing. In a small saucepan, melt butter and cook until brown, stirring constantly. Add brown sugar and continue cooking, stirring until sugar is completely melted. Pour in half and half and stir. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When cooled, add powdered sugar (use your judgment on how much- according to thickness), vanilla and salt. Beat until thick enough to spread.
- Spread brownies with icing, and cut into squares. Enjoy!
Brownie recipe adapted from recipegirl.com
Brownies for Days http://www.browniesfordays.com/